These are the questions we are most often asked. Many questions can be answered in our parent handbook . Please contact us or your family resources coordinator for clarification or to answer any questions not listed below.

What is a family resources coordinator (FRC)?
A family resources coordinator (FRC) is unique to early intervention. The family resources coordinator assists the family in navigating the early intervention system by setting up intake, evaluation and transition; they coordinate resources within Northwest Center and the community and are a part of the early intervention team.
What is a developmental evaluation?
An evaluation or assessment is a structured evaluation of your child’s development. The areas of development that are evaluated are: adaptive, cognitive, communication, physical and social emotional. During the evaluation, Northwest Center therapists use a combination of standardized assessments and clinical/professional observations. The standardized assessment used will be tailored to your child’s age and developmental area of concern. The assessment looks a lot like the therapist is playing with your child. You can also expect that you will be answering many questions about your child’s medical history, growth, movement, behavior, play and interactions with adults and other children.
What is the eligibility criteria?
Federal and state guidelines state that to be eligible, a child must have a 25 percent delay or show a 1.5 standard deviation below his or her age in one or more of the developmental areas. A child may also be eligible if he or she has a physical or mental condition such as that is known to cause a delay in development. We determine eligibility through the developmental assessments described above.
What does a Home/Community visit look like?
Our goal during home visits is to jointly develop plans to support you in finding ways to encourage and develop your child’s participation in a variety of everyday activities. Because caregiver participation is integral to our services we encourage you to invite other family members or caregivers to participate in home visits. Home visits are made by your child’s lead therapist or educator at the frequency we jointly determine. Co-treatment visits or consultations may be scheduled with other therapy team members. These visits can be requested by you or recommended by your primary therapist or educator. Your Family Resources Coordinator will visit at least every 6 months and check in with you monthly. The visit is structured in the following way: Review Joint Plan Therapist/educator and caregiver review the plan from the last visit and what was tried between visits. Observation/Modeling Therapist/educator observes caregiver and child, then, after discussion, models strategies or ideas to try with the child while caregiver observes. Action During spontaneous or planned activities, therapist/educator invites caregiver to try, practice, or refine modeled strategies and ideas with their child. Reflection Therapist/educator and caregiver debrief and analyze how the action (what the caregiver tried) worked. Feedback Constructive feedback is provided by therapist /educator based on observation during action phase. Joint Plan Therapist/educator and caregiver plan activities to occur between visits.
Who pays?
Northwest Center Early Intervention uses both private and public money to fund our programs. We accesses public funding through school districts, Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Act and the Division of Developmental Disabilities. These funds are limited and in no way cover the cost of our quality services. We also to bill private insurance for therapy services if your child has coverage. Through our agreement with insurance companies, we are also required to collect any co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurance fees associated with your insurance plan. These out-of-pocket expenses apply only to those private insurance clients whose policies have co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurance fees. Please refer to your insurance policy to see if these fees will apply to you. Although we will bill your insurance for the initial evaluation, you will not pay out of pocket expenses for that initial evaluation. The larger Northwest Center Corporation picks up a percentage of the cost of early intervention services as well through private donations, grants and social enterprises. If you require a scholarship to cover medical costs, applications are available.
Can I call any time before my child’s 3rd birthday
Our contract with King County states that we can begin the eligibility process up to 45 days prior to the child’s 3rd birthday. While we understand that sometimes a referral doesn’t come through, we adhere to this statement and do not take referrals after 45 days before the 3rd birthday. If you are calling close to the child’s 3rd birthday, please understand that the intake/evaluation process may take a few weeks and treatment time may be limited due to the fact that we do not see children after their 3rd birthday.
What is an IFSP?
IFSP is an acronym for Individual Family Service Plan. If eligible, your child can receive early intervention services. You will have a meeting with your family resources coordinator (FRC) and other service providers. Your family, with others, will write a plan, called an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP). Work with your FRC to ensure the plan reflects your family’s concerns, interests and values. Services begin when you have agreed to the IFSP and consent to the services. The IFSP is an ongoing process that meets the changing needs of your child and family. It is reviewed every 6 months.
What happens when my child turns three?
This is what we call transition process. We begin talking about the transition process very soon after your child begins services at Northwest Center. When your child turns three, early intervention services end. At age three, the local school district takes over the actual provision of services if your child continues to qualify for services.. Your FRC and primary service provider will help your family with the transition process with the school district to determine if your child is eligible for ongoing services. We will also talk about other resources that can help after you transition out of our program.
What happens if I move out of your area?
In the event that you are moving out of our catchment area, your family resources coordinator will help you find early intervention services in your area. If your IFSP is current, the plan can move with your child. Once you move, you will not receive FRC services through NWC your FRC will be associated with your new early intervention team.